Friday, March 21, 2014

The Road To Acceptance

I, like many, are part of a family who have many traditions, values, and beliefs. My family is very big on being there for one another. No matter the situation, the celebrations, and the drama I know I can count on them, except when it comes to who I date or who I can be friends with.  As a child, my grandparents have frowned upon interracial relationships whether they are romantic or even just friends. My mother, as well as my three aunts were involved and got married to Hispanic men. The men were accepted with open arms by my grandparents. My uncles on the other hand challenged that view by involving themselves with Caucasian women; my grandparents were not very accepting of the women. It took many months’ for my grandparents to invite them into their home. Growing up I never understood why that was. Curiously, I asked my grandmother why it hard to accept the women. She responded that it wasn't a norm for Hispanic families to date or interact outside their race. It astonished me that even now, in this new generation that they still thought that way. My family has been passing down this belief of it being wrong to date or befriend outside our race. Many of my family members still think that way because that’s what was brought down from generation to generation.


It was difficult to bring friends who weren't Hispanic over without the dirty looks or the whispering under my family’s breath. At one point I didn't want to be a part of my family’s culture, tradition or whatever they wanted to call it. I was part of the new, accepting generation while my family was more old school. There was a time where I had brought a friend over, of a different race, and I was scolded once my visitor left by my grandfather. He told me that he does not accept that I disrespected him in his house. By disrespect he meant that I did not respect his beliefs. I was offended by his scolding, how is inviting my friend over disrespect? I didn't agree or understand where he was coming from and I told him that not everyone has the same beliefs or was brought up the same way, and I was one of those people that do not believe what has been taught from our guardians. My mother has not set limits or let her parents beliefs get in the way of raising my sisters and I. It took a while but my grandfather then realized that our culture is changing. Many things are evolving and there is nothing that can be done about it. He as well as the rest of my family has to either accept it or fight the same battle every day. Today, together we fixed or have modernized the culture and beliefs that my family has been carrying through generation to generation.



No comments:

Post a Comment