Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Religion in my Life

 Religion is something that is usually predetermined for most people by their family. I was no different. I was raised in a Catholic family, in a Catholic church. However, as I grew older I began going to church less and less, although I still celebrate Catholic holidays.
This is a picture of my family's Christmas tree.
 As a child, I was only exposed to one religion. Today, I still do not know much about other religions around the world. Although I know of some of them, I do not know much about them. In sociology class, Professor Weffer discussed some of the biggest religions in the world with the most followers. Christianity was the biggest religion, followed by Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism and Confucianism. Since I know little about these religions, I wanted to look into some of them in more depth. I did a Google search on both Islam and Confucianism; here are the links:
 To me, these websites were a great source for more information on these religions. Since Professor Weffer only did a brief overview of the religions, this website really helped me to gain a better understanding of the beliefs of these religions as well as some historical backgrounds on them.
 When I look at where these religions are most dominant, it makes sense that the people in those regions live the way they do. They are guided by their religion in their everyday lives. Looking at the way I live my everyday life starts to make sense as well when I consider the fact that I was raised Catholic. Although, I do not consider myself as religious as I used to be, I still have moral guidelines based on the religion that shape the way I live my life.
 I never knew that something so opinionated could be studied in sociology, but now that I have a better understanding of how it shapes people's lives, it is clear that studying topics like religion is an important factor in learning about how society works.

No comments:

Post a Comment