Friday, March 21, 2014

Aspects of Sociology in My Life

The chapters I’m going to incorporate with real life experiences is chapter seven, Groups and Organizations and chapter eighteen, Families. The reason I chose chapter eighteen is because I ran cross-country and track for all four years of high school. During that time, I experienced two different coaches who had different leadership styles. One being instrumental and the other being expressive. In this chapter we learned that instrumental leadership focused more on the completion of tasks and expressive leadership focused more on the groups’ well-being.
My male coach was the coach who had the instrumental leadership style. He would have my teammates and I set goals early on in the season, usually after our first track meet of the season. He would have us do this in hopes that by the end of the season we would have achieved our goal. My expressive coach who was female, would constantly be encouraging us to have a positive attitude regardless of how we performed. After every track meet she would have us say something positive about our performance to boost our confidence as well as keep up the team morale. This just goes to show that she was more focused on the well-being of the team rather than how we actually performed. Thus, making her leadership style expressive.  
The reason I chose chapter eighteen, Families, was due to the fact that my parents have been married for twenty-five years and this relationship is defined as a monogamist marriage. Since they have been married and as far back as I can remember, my family and I have lived relatively close to my father’s family. This relates to the term discussed in this chapter patrilocality, which is defined as a residential pattern in which a married couple lives with or near the husband’s family. In my families case, near my father’s family.
















External Cites:





No comments:

Post a Comment