Monday, March 17, 2014

Culture and It's Shock

Perhaps one of the most defining features of a society is its culture. Composed of many different aspects, it dominates social interactions- through language, norms, and values. In our class, we have discussed the differences between material and nonmaterial culture, exploring how art, film, fashion, ideas, work ethic, and tolerance for religions are important aspects of culture.     
In class we also shared our experienced with culture shock. I experienced culture shock firsthand when I was an exchange student in Germany. Many of the cultural differences were subtle, yet made my experience unique. During this experience, I actually learned a lot about my own culture as well. It was pointed out to me that Americans over use the word “love”. We use it in respect to things we do not truly love- we say that we “love” that movie, or we “love” that restaurant. Germans describe their interests as something that they “really like”; they do not use the word “love” as freely as Americans do. Eupedia.com highlights other differences between the United States and Europe. http://www.eupedia.com/europe/cultural_differences_europe_usa.shtml
My German host family had stereotypical expectations of me as well- for example, before I arrived they specifically stocked up on sugary, chocolaty cereals for just for me. They expected that I would want to eat the junk food that Americans have become known for and apologized that they didn’t have more of it. Having expectations and stereotypes proved wrong provides lessons about one’s own culture, as well as others. Yourdictionary.com provides helpful definitions and examples of stereotypes ranging from race to sexual orientation. http://examples.yourdictionary.com/stereotype-examples.html
When the German exchange students came to visit us in America, the one thing that surprised them most was our patriotism. They were stunned that we had American flags in each classroom and said the pledge of allegiance every morning. They said this would never be acceptable in Germany and explained that this was unfortunately because of Hitler. Even decades later, patriotism in Germany is associated with Nazism and Hitler’s belief that Germany would become the dominant superpower.  They explained to me that police will question anyone carrying a German flag, unless it is during the World Cup. One of the students literally said to me that Germans really loved the World Cup because “it is the only time when it’s ok to be German.” How sad.
These differences in culture may have historical roots but still have an impact on culture today. My experience in Germany taught me so much about the world and our place in it. Breaking down stereotypes is the best way to get to learn more about another culture, as well as your own.

Attached are pictures I took at Checkpoint Charlie in Berlin. 




No comments:

Post a Comment