Thursday, May 1, 2014

Which type of schooling do you choose?


                Education is essential in our modern day society. Within the United States, “By 1918, all states had passed a mandatory education law requiring all children to attend school until the age of sixteen or completion of eighth grade” (Sociology, 575). Throughout the nation, there are various different school options that include public schools, magnet schools, private schools, and home schooling. Having attended Taft high school, a Chicago Public School, I believe that I received a solid, well-rounded education whereas others believe that magnet schools or private schools are the best options. On the other hand, home schooling is a very hot topic that is becoming more known in the United States. Home schooling is definitely becoming a strong contestant to competing with public, private, and magnet schools.

                Nearly 1.5 million children are being home schooled in the United States (Sociology, 590). Most children used to be home schooled because they were brought up into a very religious family and their parents wanted their religion to be just as important as school. Now, many parents decide to home school because they do not agree with the schooling systems and feel that it would be more beneficial for them to teach their own children. I believe that there is nothing wrong with home schooling, but having gone to a public school, I would not allow my children to be home schooled because I know I could not offer a better education. Though critics say, “home schooling reduces the amount of funding going to local public schools, which ends up hurting the majority of students” (Sociology, 591). In a way this may be true, but in other ways I would have to disagree because home schooled children can participate in public school sports which can bring in some revenue from sports fees.

                At Taft high school I was the manager of the football team for three years. I have met some of my best friends through that experience. One of them happened to be Ben who was home schooled. Ben began playing football at Taft our junior year and continued on for senior year too. He is so outgoing, funny, and smart. After practices while he would be waiting for a ride home he would even pull out a book and spend his time reading. I believe that football did allow him to grow and through this experience he gained so many new friends. I know I always wondered how home schooled children made any friends. Ben and his family are very religious so they helped a lot at their local church. Along with this, Ben, his parents, and his three older siblings who were also home schooled help at soup kitchens and many other volunteer opportunities that help the needy. Ben and his family even spend three months in 2012 aiding starving children in Ethiopia. I have never seen a more loving family than Ben’s family. Ben had such a big impact on the football team that he even became the captain of the football team senior year. He was even able to participate in Taft’s pep rally and attend the homecoming dance.

                Having Ben in my life has truly been a blessing. Through him I learned that home schooling is not as secluded as one would think. I think that it is a great idea that public schools allow home schooled children to be a part of their athletics. I think that a student can be successful in any school setting. For example, Ben has gone off to attend University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, and so did some of my classmates at Taft.  In the end, home schooling is not as bad as critics make it out to be. Whether it be public, private, magnet, or home schooling, any option can be a great option for children.


Ben & I at the pep rally

No comments:

Post a Comment