Thursday, May 1, 2014

College?

Today, College is needed in order to make a living and get a good career. But what about the people who are not good at school? Or the people who do not like school and do not want to go? Or what about the people who just cannot afford it? Many people have troubles deciding on if they want to attend college or not. Some people know right away what they want to do, while others just attend because their parents are forcing them too.  A lot of time people do not even know what they want to go to college for.
When I was in high school I strived to earn good grades, be ahead in classes, and to work hard in order to go to college. I was able to graduate a semester early from high school, and attended a local community college. I completed twenty-four credit hours there before transferring to NIU that fall. All through high school I took courses related to Elementary Education. My goal was to become a teacher, working primarily with kindergarten through fifth grade. My second year of college I began my clinical. I was actually in an elementary setting. That is when I found that I did not like it, and I could not spend the rest of my life doing that. I explored different majors at NIU and decided to change my major to Family Social Services. This past semester I have been taking many classes related to that major. I am now at the end of the semester, and I feel like all of my hard work has been shot down the drain. My schedule for next year is all messed up, and I have been put behind by almost an entire year. I am now at a point where I do not know what I want to do. I feel like I am burnt out from school. I stress over it, and tend to not do well anymore. I have gotten to the point where I feel like school is not for me. I loved school. I was excited to start at NIU, meet new people, begin my career path, and be on my own.  I have thought about, and discussed many different options with my family, especially my mom, and I have decided to not come back to NIU next fall. I will continue to take courses at the community college and hopefully find the career path I really want to take. I have also considered going to beauty school, but I am still debating on that. It is okay to not know what you want to do. Sometimes it can feel like people pressure you into something and make you choose your life path so quickly, when in reality you are not ready. 
Here is a link to find more information in regards to college:  http://collegecost.ed.gov/
According to the book, only sixty eight percent of U.S high school students attend college right after they graduate. Many people can simply just not afford college. It is extremely expensive, and people have families that they must take care of. Even though college is needed to get a well-paying job many people opt out of it. People would rather find a job right out of high school, then to go to college and put themselves into debt. And well, some people just simply do not like school.
Here is a link to find more information about college: http://www.highereducation.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment