Thursday, May 1, 2014

Be Proud

I have a friend who I work with at Medieval Times. When I first met him three years ago, he had not come out to anyone as being gay. It wasn't until last year that he came out at work. This was especially difficult for him. Being homosexual isn't something that everyone accepts in society since heterosexuality is the "norm".
Once he had come out though, everyone was very accepting and he did not lose any friends at work because of it.
If I had seen this article earlier, perhaps I would have given it to him to make his transition a little easier:
-http://www.hrc.org/resources/entry/coming-out-at-work
It explains some easier ways to ease people into you coming out.
And if I had seen this article soon, it would have made it easier for me to support him through it:
-http://voices.yahoo.com/when-close-friend-comes-out-closet-286471.html
This one gives some ways to support your friend while they're coming out.
Now, that he is out, I couldn't be happier for him. Although it is still stigmatized, he is proud of who he is and who he likes. I am proud to say that he is a good friend of mine. It wouldn't matter if he were heterosexual, bisexual or homosexual, I would never change the fact that he is a good friend of mine and I'm happy to have met him.

No comments:

Post a Comment