Friday, May 2, 2014

Sending Your Daughter Straight To Hell


      My mother grew up in a world much different than the one she provided for me. Usually, parents instill in their children the same qualities that were instilled into them as a child. However, my mom grew up in a very strictly religious household, so religious that things such as going to the movies, and wearing certain attire were things that would send you straight to hell. My mother tells me that while living at home she made two promises to herself; to move out as soon as she could and to let her children have the freedom to be just that- children.

     Through the 19 years of my life my mother has always allowed me to go forward and make my own mistakes, sometimes giving me more freedom than I needed. She acted this way in hope of keeping that promise. I can only imagine how hard it was to raise me while being reasonable parent and not wanting to allow me to sin. This situation placed my mother in a role conflict. She struggled between choosing to be a good Christian women and an understanding mother. While, in the end, I like to believe I grew up to be an okay person, I know that I have done some things that my mother still believes to be considered a sin.

http://www.richarddawkins.net/foundation_articles/2013/9/28/why-we-should-teach-religion-to-children

No comments:

Post a Comment